On Wednesday, January 22, USD405 will host Reality U in our Middle School gymnasium for 8 &10th grades as well as all other schools in Rice County. We will also have aproximately 30 volunteers from the community to assist that day. Reality U brings “reality” to students in the Kansas area and teaches them about personal finance in an interactive and engaging way.
Below is a video Zach Vogel’s class created of last year’s event.
Here is the event schedule in the Lyons Middle School gym for Jan. 22.
8:00-8:30 AM Volunteer Training
8:30-10:00 AM - Sterling
10:00-11:30 AM – Chase/Little River 11:30-12:10 Lunch
12:10-1:40 PM Lyons 8th grade
1:40-3:10 PM Lyons 10th grade
Speakers for the event:
Clint Beiberle – Reality After High School, Returning Home
John Cannon - Unpacking the Emotional Bag, Being Resilient in Life (ACES)
Joel Grizzle- Saying NO to Debt (FPU-Dave Ramsey)
Justin Holiday & Casey Rowland along with Lyons PD – The Cost of Delinquency\
Christi Reid & Angie Linden- Budget Breakdown
Denise Dickson- HS Counselor Prep Talk for High School, Graduation and After
What is Reality U?
The goals of Reality U are:
- Teach teens that their performance in school today can affect their future.
- Provide students with the opportunity to learn and practice personal finance skills.
- Mobilize the community to become involved stakeholders in education, particularly financial literacy education in their local schools.
- Meet several National Standards for Financial Literacy:
- Students will use rational decision-making and planning to set and implement financial goals
- Students will understand sources of income and the relationship between income and career preparation
- Students will understand principles of money management
- Students will understand credit uses and costs.
Check out their video